FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Need components help, Need help with getting correct components from Amazon.de
Maldayne #1 28/03/2018 - 12h29

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 28/03/2018

Off line

Hi all.

I live in Africa, however am visiting Germany where I can finally source the parts for building the TrackIR system finally. I want to source all the parts strictly from Amazon.de due to time and convinience, however I have a few problems getting the parts described in tutorials.

I found these IR LED's, however that are not flat topped like the ones usually described in the tutorials. will these work or is there a better option on amazons site? I have seen some people mention filing, but it sounds risky
IR LED

Then I read the PS3 Eye camera is the best camera for the setup, however there is a problem where the newer ones can't be modded to remove the IR filter. What is the next best alternative camera on , or is there a way to find the older PS3 Eye camera on the site? I found this one, but I don't see a way to see if it is the older or newer PS3 Eye
PS3 EYE

For the IR filter I looked at this one and is seems right since the 850nm is lower than the LED's 940nm
IR PASS FILTER

for resistors I chose 18Ohm which apparently would work with the rechargeable batteries I plan on using
RESISTOR

And Battery Case incase that is important to list
BATTERY CASE

What are your recommendations considering the parts and issues I have mentioned. I don't mind extra parts as I want to build an extra set for a friend as a gift. I just don't want to return to Africa to realise I am missing something  ;D

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Stormrider #2 11/10/2018 - 09h59

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

already 825 views and noone is willing or able to help?A lot of people came here with questions.The help they got was for free,Isn't there at least one of those 825 viewer who could help this guy? :snif:
Blindasabat #3 27/10/2018 - 20h12

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 02/05/2011

Off line

I'm somewhat surprised this site is still running, more popular sites have gone dead (e.g. Nogrip Racing) already.
It has been a very long time ago since I last visited here but I'll try to help.

See if you can get the Osram's as they're quality components. I know Conrad has them as that is where I got them.

As for the camera, I've tried several ones including two PS3 eyes, one of which I demolished trying to remove the IR filter. The other one I didn't open up but it never worked for me with Freetrack or Opentrack with whatever I tried as lightfilters. I eventually settled for the Xbox 360 Live Camera, there is/was a tutorial somewhere on how to open it up to remove the IR filter, which I replaced with a piece of floppy disk and it's still working great.
But that is also the reason for my visit as I'm looking to see if there are better and easier to come by alternatives recently but I haven't found one as of yet.

I think 180 Ohm will be enough though I have never been very good at calculations. The only advice I can give you though is to not use battery power, I've tried it but those LED's drain them quite fast and then you constantly have your camera not picking up the damn pointmodel because of low power. I would recommend a power adapter that can supply between 4 to 6 Volt, maybe you can even use an old phonecharger you have laying around.

I've made my pointmodels serial, I don't see the benefit of doing it otherwise.

I hope this information was useful.
Wodan #4 22/01/2019 - 21h36

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 28/03/2010

Off line

The advice I can give: use battery power!
One singel 1,5 Volt rechargeable battery last at least 8 hours. When empty I m changing  it during playing (DCS). I just put it on top of my cap, it´s not heavy. Sometimes I even walk to toilet.  :)

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).