FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > General Discussion > Killed 2 cameras so far!  Need camera recommendation PLEASE!

RSS >  Killed 2 cameras so far!  Need camera recommendation PLEASE!
kardeck #1 29/12/2014 - 14h39

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 04/12/2014

Off line

I have managed to irreparably destroy 2 webcams trying to remove the ir filter.

I am really starting to get p'ed off with this whole thing, so I want someone to recommend a webcam that has a REMOVABLE IR Filter PLEASE!!

And I havent even started on the driver/tracking install process yet!!!

Argh!
Stormrider #2 29/12/2014 - 21h29

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

Hi, look here for useable webcams Spoilerhttp://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/camera.php?PHPSESSID=e3d997c6333b8edd190db3472b19ab52

What type did you had???
When I tried to remove the ir-filter of my ps3-eye I also ruined it completely.I found a shop in the USA where they sell lenses for a ps3-eye with the ir-filter already removed or already modificated ps3-eyes ready to use.
http://peauproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=136_1_5&products_id=9
kardeck #3 30/12/2014 - 00h06

Off line

Wow! $40 for a ps3 eye??

I killed a ps2 eye and a ps3 eye trying to mod them but I only paid a combined £10 for them, which is not whats bothering me.

What bothers me is my lack of coordination or diy skils.  I could buy another ps3 eye from amazon or ebay for a fiver but I would just end up trashing the damn thing again.  I paid for a ir hat from trackhat which works fine, so now I just need a webcam that allows me to get the whole thing working without having to challenge my practical skills!
Edited by kardeck on 30/12/2014 at 00h07.
Stormrider #4 30/12/2014 - 12h10

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

Wow! $40 for a ps3 eye??

a ps3-eye webcam is a very good cam for ir-tracking.There are only a few problems with him.Some types have a strong and not removeable ir-filter.I also, like I wrote before, ruined my ps3-eye but dit not buy a new or other cam but only a already modified lens.You can also find it at that shop.
http://peauproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=136_1_5&products_id=25
kardeck #5 05/01/2015 - 20h14

Off line

I finally sorted my problem and now have a fully working & free head-tracking setup - using my mobile phone!

I was really struggling to sort out a webcam, and happend upon a thread on the Elite Dangerous forums about head-tracking with a cell phone.

https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki/Smartphone-Headtracking

It took about 10 minutes to download and set-up a completely functional and free system using an old Samsung S3 that wont connect to gsm.  It works fine either plugged in via the usb cable or over wifi.  It can emulate TrackIR, and works fine in E:D, FSX-SE and Falcon4.

The only drawback is that I have to mount it on my flimsy headphones with a rubber band, and the whole contraption slips off my head because of the weight of the phone.  Currently studying alternative options for a mount - any ideas?
Edited by kardeck on 05/01/2015 at 20h19.
jabonline #6 09/02/2015 - 13h58

Registered on : 09/02/2015

Off line

I saw people having problems with the PS3 cams, so decided to try out the XBox 360 Live Webcam.  Very easy to remove the ir filter and then cut a piece of 35mm film to fit in the same space.  Put back together and you have a cam that will do 60fps at 320x240.  Use AM Cam to change the exposure to -7 or -8, otherwise you will only be getting around 15fps in Freetrack.  Adjust the other video filters until it makes 3 good points, takes a bit of tinkering, but once you get it right you don't have to do it again.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > General Discussion > Killed 2 cameras so far!  Need camera recommendation PLEASE!

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).