FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Your point model constructions, Share pics and details
Bwaze #16 30/03/2008 - 07h02

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 02/02/2008

Off line

3 point clip, standard size,  3    IR LEDs SFH 485 with filed ends, 9V. Clip is made from 1 mm stainless steel, I scanned it and made a decal with FreeTrack logo so it looks semi-official.  :D

Camera is Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX, I removed the IR filter and added a removable visible light filter (one layer of old floppy disc medium).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Bwaze on 30/03/2008 at 07h02.
Pezzer Ritter wenne Chnecht!
Volans #17 09/04/2008 - 07h29

Registered on : 14/11/2007

Off line

My new setup: 3 point cap using a 9v battery power supply

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

More details here:
http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=716

Volans
Edited by Volans on 09/04/2008 at 07h30.
Niek #18 16/04/2008 - 22h39

Registered on : 24/03/2008

Off line

Hi!

Yesterday I finally built my 3-point model!

It's built around some thick copper electric wire as a base. The SFH485P leds are glued to the wire, connected in series with a resistor. Power source is usb through a mini usb connector (bought here on eBay). For cosmetic reason I added a blue mini led in parallel (with its own resistor of course). I also added a PTC (0,2A trip) in the circuit to prevent frying my motherboard. After everything was glued and wired, I wrapped it up in heat shrink tube except from one piece that wasn't reachable after the whole thing was glued. Some electric tape saved the day  B)

All parts except the mini usb connectors were bought from www.conrad.be.

My webcam is a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 with a single layer of floppy disk in front of the lens. Although it hasn't a monitor clip so it can be used with laptops, I bent a piece of electric wire to accomplish just that. It works really good, as long as the sun isn't shining in my room.

I however ordered a very cheap webcam from eBay (expected to arrive soon) so I can use that as a dedicated Freetrack cam.

And now some pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Close-up of the usb connector:
Posted Image
In the middle you can see the end of the electric wire, used as a base for this model. The blue led is actually hidden behind the heat shrink tube.

The model with juice:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Logitech Quickcam Pro 400 with custom made mounting device and one layer of floppy disk:
Posted Image

Me very happy:
Posted Image

So far it's been tested in Live for Speed where it works really well. Only thing left is getting used to this new kind of gaming!

EDIT: FSX is a bitch! Very hard to let it work smoothly with FT!
Anyway, here is a youtube video of me testing FT in FSX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmGycThwgKo
Edited by Niek on 19/04/2008 at 02h13.
Agent #19 19/04/2008 - 18h01

Registered on : 14/03/2008

Off line

Hey.
This one is my just yesterday did it.
Posted Image
Edited by Agent on 20/04/2008 at 16h04.
submdi #20 21/04/2008 - 09h27

Registered on : 18/04/2008

Off line

Works pretty well. I struggled to get the cam to attain 30fps, but it now hovers between 26-30fps, usually at 29fps.

I might remake it (3 point IR), or rather, make another one, a bit smaller and see how it performs.

I'm playing ArmA with it, and I can't help but wonder if the TrackIr would be worth spending the money on. I mean this seems to be pretty responsive and works okay, but in-game it still is a bit unwieldy. I expected it to be as smooth as the mouse look function, but I find it still a little erratic and hard to control intuitively.

I'll persist anyway. I've already pushed past the motion sickness I experienced after the first few hours of play. It has been a fun little enterprise and cost me only about $40 AUS. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Your forum width is too narrow!! These pics are only 800 wide.
Edited by submdi on 21/04/2008 at 09h50.
lilpunk1302 #21 22/04/2008 - 06h34

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 07/11/2007

Off line

This is my second "attempt" at making a track clip. It's larger than the first, and uses a lighter cable that doesn't drag everything down :/

Ignore the speaker, it's just a stand :)
Posted Image

The Power source for this one is an old Motorola phone charger(from a dead RAZR) Most of the new Moto phones have standard 5 volt chargers.

When I went to the component store, they were out of IR LED's so I just got a pack of regular red ones for a third the price.

Posted Image

I have mine mounted to my PS2 Logitech Headset, it's a USB headset, if it matters.

Posted Image

I'm currently working on trying to find a Male/female set of Mini-B USB plugs and adding a switch so I can make it work off USB and turn it off without having to unplug.
Edited by lilpunk1302 on 22/04/2008 at 06h49.
cptvanier #22 13/05/2008 - 17h14

Registered on : 12/05/2008

Off line

This is my 3 point cap.

Its made with ir led's filed down for better viewing angles and runs on a 9v battery attached under the brim out of my field of view.

Hat works very well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by cptvanier on 13/05/2008 at 17h39.
cama #23 17/05/2008 - 16h48

Registered on : 01/02/2008

Off line

Hi, people.
Here my 3 point cap. Easy to do with instruction from the forum. I do it with 2 AA, switch (on/off). Thanks FreeTrack Team for amazing softw.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've changed the links to your pics which didn't show up. Didja  :)
Karlson #24 22/05/2008 - 20h52

Registered on : 13/10/2007

Off line

Posted Image
goestrip #25 07/06/2008 - 17h44

Registered on : 04/06/2008

Off line

Hi everyone, here is my own 3 points cap style helmet.
Posted image

Posted image

it's a security helmet cut to save weight.
it's USB powered, i used simple Red LED parralel mounted, each with a single resistance.

I also use a simple quickcam logitech webcam with the IR filter removed.

After a few tweak in free-track , the system works perfectly !!
Z3R0B4NG #26 13/06/2008 - 09h20

Registered on : 12/06/2008

Off line

Project: "Teletubbie-6-DOF-3-Point-Capstyle-Medusa-5.1-Headset"
just finished it yesterday :)
The LEDs are completely removable from the Headset.

I just used 3 Star Trek Micromachine stands and a piece of Watercooling tube, thats about it.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

->   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R5gMzkXIEo   :)

:-)
Edited by Z3R0B4NG on 13/06/2008 at 09h22.
didja #27 13/06/2008 - 17h20

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

It looks to work well ! :)

Well done ! :)

Rémy
Posted Image
Z3R0B4NG #28 19/06/2008 - 17h36

Registered on : 12/06/2008

Off line

actually it does NOT work that good...  :(

it works fine as long as i have the cam below my TFT on the Table and only while it's dark outside (pay atention to that stupid window directly behind me in the youtube vid...  :wacko: )

And if i place the webcam above my TFT the axis are completely screwed up (center LED is to low i think).

If i put my steeringwheel on the table and the cam behind it = no visiual contact! :rolleyes:
So i have to place the cam on top of the TFT...

I think i will have to redo that whole thing again and put the left and right IR-LEDs more in front and remove that watercooling tube from the center one to remove the distance.

actually the watercooling tube reflects the IR-Light and confuses FreeTrack even more... so better put something black over it if you want to use some kind of tube

by the way the looking glasses of my mother screw up FreeTrack detection too, seems to me that everything transparent reflects the IR Light and gets the detection confused...

//edit:

here is the prototype version 2 ;P
doesnt look very nice yet but works a lot better than the teletubbie design.

Edited by Z3R0B4NG on 20/06/2008 at 14h02.
DPLUIGI #29 21/06/2008 - 03h22

Class : Beta Tester
Registered on : 04/01/2008

Off line

Here is my 3pt clip IR Leds model made using a black foam board, which thickness allowed for the IR Led to be fed through the board and bent twice (right angle Z) on either side and secure with epoxy glue (Araldite).  The holes were made with a simple message board pin.  I based my dimension to 60x60 and 80x80 3pt clip settings.

So besides an exacto cutter, a ruler, a pencil and soldering iron the required tools and skills are bare minimum.  Note that the glue once cured acted as a strengthening of the mounted LEs onto the otherwise soft board.

Epoxy could have been applied all over as a finish to give strength to the base foam material but it has been fine as is.  I used this for four months solid and event sat on it a coupe of times and is still going strong.  It was much easier to make than my first 3pt made from a soldered cloth hanger wire and mounted onto a cap.

The time to cut out with care for details and soldering of the slider switch, limiting resistor and 9V battery clip took all in all under 2hours.

Enjoy,   :)
Donat-Pierre

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by DPLUIGI on 21/06/2008 at 03h31.
Gravata #30 23/06/2008 - 04h08

Registered on : 10/05/2008

Off line

My 3 point cap pictures taken from crappy WebCam: (crappy but it works very well with Free-Track :p )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).