FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Need Help With Set Up
spirittoo #1 26/02/2015 - 18h40

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 24/02/2015

Off line

Hello  :)  ... I'm a complete newbie and I have been trying to get freetrack to work for me ... I have checked out a couple of help threads here and here

I connect the IR Led's just like the picture.  I don't see any lights with my eyes but I do see that there are 3 white dots in the screen with the cam on.

Here is a list of my parts
Battery case

Resistors

IR LED's

Web cam

Now question about the cam ... in the one guide the guy stated that the IR filter had to be removed.  I opened the cam and saw small screws that looked like it was holding down the eye, but when I removed them the part would not lift off so I could see if there was an IR filter.

I didn't want to break it so the best I could do was put an old floppy disk film over the eye.  Will it help or no ... if the IR filter has to be removed how would I get to it.  It looks like some resistors are solder preventing the eye in it's small box to be lifted up.

At first I could not get any movement out of the skull, but I'm getting spotty reactions after looking at the help threads.  I didn't understand about the adjusting so I used the setting in the guide.

There is a problem with the software minimising while I am working on it.  I have to go into the system tray and keep restoring it.  It this normal?

In the curve part I had pretty much straight line after going by the adjustments I saw. :unsure:

After making those adjustments the skull is looking straight down.

I moved the threshold to where I can see distorted white dots that the best I can get.  The skull movement is very sporatic and doesn't correspond with my head movements.

Okay so do I have the right parts?  Is there a problem there?  What can I do the get the skull to move with my head?   :snif:

I deleted the .ini to see if that would help the software from minimising but it didn't.

That's all the info I can think to give now.  If I miss something please let me know and I will post it.

Thank you for reading my post. :glasses:
Steph #2 27/02/2015 - 17h16

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Hi again,

if you do have three proper light dots with one cross on each it's fine. No other crosses beside in the cam preview and  three green control lamps in the lower right corner of Freetrack interface.  You do not necessarily remove the ir-filter if you can track the LEDs accurately.
Like this:
Posted Image
If your build is a three-point-cap your light dots appears as an triangle.
Go on with the dimension and position setup:
http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=4039&message=19522
You need to measure the dimensions and position of you own build as exactly as possible and set it up.
Check the "General options" in the "Global" tab for your minimize problem.
Posted Image
spirittoo #3 28/02/2015 - 23h53

Off line

I'm not seeing the three dots now.  I tried setting up my dimensions ... 180 for the sides and 57 and 38 for the front ... the model dimensions is different than the one in the link.  No green lights ... nothing.
Steph #4 01/03/2015 - 15h25

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

I connect the IR Led's just like the picture.  I don't see any lights with my eyes but I do see that there are 3 white dots in the screen with the cam on.

*confused* :pinch:

Make sure your LEDs are working. You can't see ir-light with your eyes. Try to check them with a mobile, (no I-phone, ir filter is to strong), or other camera.
spirittoo #5 02/03/2015 - 23h09

Off line

Oh my :snif: One of the lights was not working ... I didn't know I could use my digital camera to check them that helped a lot.  ;D

So I got all three working and I see the points in the image, but I don't see any + going through them I moved the threshold to both extremes but I clould not get + over the dots.

No green lights at the bottom either.  I just got a Logitech C 120 web cam maybe it will work better than the Hercules?  :unsure:  Haven't hooked it up yet, but I will try it later and get back.

But at least for now I know the lights are working.  :lol:

Thanks for reading my post. :)
spirittoo #6 04/03/2015 - 15h28

Off line

I guess my next step is to try and remove the ir filter ... I got a C 120 by logitech it should be similar to the one in the tutorial, maybe once I do that I will get some where in the software. :unsure:  :pigekedal:
Stormrider #7 04/03/2015 - 15h58

Class : Légende du Forum
Registered on : 02/01/2013

Off line

you can always first try in a as dark as possible room.If there is no other light what can interfere with your ir-leds you can see it working.
It is always worth a try(I think) if you are not quite sure how to remove that ir-filter.
Don't forget to disable all the auto functions of you webcam before darking the room.Maybe you need to "play"a little with the exposure setting but it should work.This is just for trying and not a permanent  solution  ;)
spirittoo #8 09/03/2015 - 17h28

Off line

Well sir ... I gave that a try and it didn't work ... I'm not getting consistant movement from the head only irratic response.  Maybe it's the filter and the software set up?  I tried it with a filter over the lens from a floppy disk and that didn't work either.  When I get a chance I will try and see if I can figure out how to remove the ir filter. :unsure:
jasoniumh #9 25/06/2015 - 07h25

Registered on : 12/11/2014

Off line

make sure you have the correct ir clip selected, I know if I have the hat one for my clip it gives wild results...; many times I have found that my kids have mucked with it... check the clip section. Just a thought
jasoniumh #10 25/06/2015 - 21h13

Registered on : 12/11/2014

Off line

and by clip section I mean Model tab. there are four options... :)

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).